- The minimum age requirement for international students studying at NZMA is 18 years old.
- Completed New Zealand Year 12 (NCEA Level 2); or
- Grade 12/11 (Asia); or
- Senior high school 3rd/2nd year, or
- agreed equivalent
English Language Proficiency
You must demonstrate a level of English language proficiency that meets the IELTS requirement for your level of study. There are many alternative ways to demonstrate your level of proficiency and your enrolments advisor can help assist you with this process. When staircasing, you must demonstrate that you meet the IELTS level or equivalent of the higher-level programme you are staircasing into.
All NZMA courses are taught in English. The following levels are considered as acceptable for entrance to our courses:
- IELTS 5.5, No individual band to be under 5.0. Please note for the Certificate in Pharmacy Technician (Level 5) an IELTS score of 6 is required. IELTS 6.5 is highly recommended to be successful in the programme due to the high level of technical content in the programme; and an interview may be required.
- TOEFL 550 (PBT), 46(IBT)
- Equivalent qualifications (FCE, CAE, NZCEL, PTE, NCEA Level 3 +University entrance requirements).
- Passed an NZQA approved internal UP International College test (including NSIA and Campbell Institute) with 5.5 IELTS overall. From 24 October 2015 this is only applicable for students from markets with over 80 percent visa approval. Visa approval rates are available on the New Zealand Immigration website.
- A 5.5 IELTS or 6.0 IELTS equivalent letter from an approved partner English school that has an approved NZQA English language proficiency assessment
- If you are transferring/graduated from another tertiary training organisation in New Zealand you may be required to sit one of our NZQA approved internal UP International College tests
Improving your English
If you are serious about studying in New Zealand, it is important to have a strong command of the English language as all our courses are taught in English. If you need to improve your English before studying with us, you can study with UP International College or Campbell Institute who offer flexible and intensive English courses in a supportive and caring environment.
Students must understand that full disclosure of their level of English, educational achievements, transcripts, and insurance is vital to ensure that there are no repercussions that may occur due to non-disclosure.
View our International Student Policy here.