International students

Home » Students » Information for students

Study in New Zealand at NZMA

At NZMA our goal is to make your time in New Zealand unforgettable.

We strive to bring you world-class hospitality, cookery and business training, in small classes taught by industry-experienced tutors. Come and take a closer look.

Download a brochure

Heading abroad to study is a big decision, and you probably have a bunch of questions! We hope to answer some of them here…

Courses for International Students

General Information

Airport Collection
Does arriving in Auckland on your own sound a bit daunting? Don’t know how to get to your accommodation? Don’t worry – we can arrange an airport pick you up for you! Email to find out more. (An airport transfer fee applies.)

Code of Practice for International Students

When you study in New Zealand, it’s the responsiblity of your education provider to make sure you’re well informed, safe and properly cared for. That’s why the New Zealand government has developed a Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students (the Code). NZMA is a signatory to the Code, which provides a compulsory framework for service delivery by education providers and their appointed representatives to international students.

The Code

NZMA has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students. Copies of the Code are available from the NZQA website at

  • IMMIGRATION Full details of immigration requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available from Immigration New Zealand, and can be viewed on their website at
  • ELIGIBILITY FOR HEALTH SERVICES Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed on their website at
  • ACCIDENT INSURANCE The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents, and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at
  • MEDICAL AND TRAVEL INSURANCE International students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while in New Zealand.

Want a Closer Look?

Ask us and we’ll send you a Summary of the Code of Practice. Or download a full copy of the Code of Practice here. It’s in several different languages.

How do I Enrol?

If you have an enquiry about one of our courses, please fill out the Enrolment Enquiry Form and one of our friendly staff will be in touch soon.

Living Costs in New Zealand

New Zealand is an affordable study destination, with a high standard of living but with lower costs than Sydney or London. You should allow approximately NZ$15,000 per year or NZ$1,250 per month for living costs. Many students are eligible for working visas for part-time work during their stay.

What does it cost:
  • Homestay (includes breakfast and dinner Monday to Friday and three meals at the weekends and public holidays) $270 a week (students 18 years and over); $285 a week (under 18 years of age)
  • Rent (shared house/apartment) $200-$250
  • Transportation (bus/train) $40 per week

New Zealand is a melting-pot of different cultures, which means you can enjoy food from all over the world while you’re here! The cheapest place to shop is usually the large supermarket chains, although you can get some great deals on fresh produce from local fruit and vegetable shops. New Zealand meat (including halal) can also be bought from local butcheries at competitive prices, and there are a host of locally-run ethnic stores. It’s much cheaper to buy food and cook at home than to eat out.

To estimate how much your weekly food budget would be go to to search for prices on food items. Compare the following items with eating out:

  • Bread $2- $4
  • Milk (1 litre) $2.50 - $3
  • Butter (500g) $5
  • Cheese 250g $5
  • Rice (1kg) $2.50
  • Takeaway meal (i.e. hamburger) $8 - $10
  • Café lunch $12 counter service
  • Café lunch @ Cafe Fusion (NZMA Cafe) $3.50 - $6
  • Café style cup of coffee $4.50
  • Café style cup of coffee @ Cafe Fusion $2.00
  • Ethnic meal e.g. Chinese, Korean @ food court - $7 - $10

Useful Websites

New Zealand Immigration has a great website tool to help you get the information you need prior to coming to New Zealand:
NZ Ready

Student Support

The Phoenix Program:

Strengthen your Life Skills to help you focus on your learning, we offer presentations and guest speakers with expertise in a variety of areas. These presentations will boost your knowledge in areas like budgeting, health and wellbeing and effective communication. They will also highlight different New Zealand laws and regulations, like our tax system and employment law.

Helpful Agencies/ Organisations/Services:

If you would like to find out about other help available, please contact Citizens Advice Bureau. Their lovely staff will help you find what you’re looking for and they have an onsite Justice of the Peace, who can verify copies of important documents. Phone 0800 367222.

If you choose to rent a house by yourself, or share a rental property with other people (“go flatting”), you will have to sign a contract or lease. If you have any questions about your rights and regulations as a tenant, call the tenancy phone line: Call 0800 TENANCY (0800 83 62 62). Language support is available.

Youth Law

For free answers to your legal questions phone 0800 UTHLAW (884 529). East Tamaki Healthcare (ETHC) For medical assistance handy to NZMA’s Sylvia Park Campus phone (09) 573 1265 or (09) 2747823 (after hours). Alternatively check out their website at or go to

East Tamaki Healthcare (ETHC)

For medical assistance handy to NZMA’s Sylvia Park Campus phone (09) 573 1265 or (09) 2747823 (after hours). Alternatively check out their website at or go to

New Zealand Policy Updates

Keep up-to-date with the latest policy changes. We’ve taken care to ensure these summaries are accurate, but please contact Immigration New Zealand for the most up-to-date information. No more cash or EFTPOS! All Immigration New Zealand onshore branches and most offshore branches no longer accept cash or EFTPOS as a form of payment for application fees. For payment options, check out the office and fees finder at 

Work While You Study

You’re allowed to work part-time (up to 20 hours per week) if you are an international student studying level 5 and above courses at  NZMA and full-time during Summer school holidays. Some students studying a level 3 or 4 qualification may be entitled to 20 hours per week work rights only if their qualification is directly relevant to an occupation at ANZSCO skill level 3 or below.

Click HERE to read the latest from Immigration New Zealand about working while you study. NZMA Careers will work with you for FREE to help you get a great job.

Graduate Work Permits

Once you’ve successfully graduated from NZMA you can apply for a 12-month Graduate Work Permit. Click HERE to find out all the details! What’s more, you don’t have to line up in queues at Immigration New Zealand anymore.


Lots of our students go “flatting” (share a house) with friends and classmates. If you want an already established flat that’s looking for a flatmate or roommate check out these great websites:

If you want to rent an entire apartment or house in Auckland, you’ll need to go through a real estate website or agency. Try

Please note: In New Zealand the Residential Tenancy Act of 1984 legislates the rights and responsibilities of landlords (property owners/agents) and tenants (person renting/boarding). It ensures arrangements are safe and ethical. This law DOES NOT apply when:

  • You’re living with the property owner and five other boarders or less (in this case, ask for the contract to include a clause that says the Residential Tenancy Act will apply).
  • There are disputes between tenants (rather than between the landlord and tenant). If there’s a problem that can’t be resolved, you can contact the Ministry of Justice Disputes Tribunal.

Homestay Accommodation

To get the most out of experiencing New Zealand life, NZMA recommends homestay accommodation. You’ll get your own single room with a bed, lamp, drawers, linen and a heater and you’ll share a bathroom and the kitchen with your homestay family. Your weekly fee includes electricity, local phone calls, reasonably internet usage and access to a washing machine, as well as breakfast and dinner during the week and all meals at the weekend and on public holidays.

Your host family will show you how to get to NZMA on your first day of class. Homestay accommodation costs $270 per week (18 years and over with a minimum four-week stay) and $285 (under 18 years of age), plus there’s an accommodation placement fee of approximately $300. For an extra $110 we’ll arrange to pick you up from the airport. Homestay fees are paid to NZMA together with your tuition fees. NZMA will arrange homestay accommodation for you once payment and flight arrival details have been received, preferably at least two weeks before you arrival in NZ. If you wish to cancel your homestay accommodation, you are required to give two weeks’ written notice.

Short-Term Accommodation: 

Backpacker accommodation is an affordable short-term solution while you’re looking for something more permanent. A dormitory (or shared room) may have between four and ten beds in it, and the price of accommodation per night is approximately between $25 and $30. We recommend because it is very close to Britomart transport station.

Longer-Term Accommodation

Serviced shared apartments offer one, two and three bedroom self-contained accommodation with ensuite bathrooms and fully-equipped kitchenettes. They often have a minimum stay period of three to six months.

Princeton Apartments, 30 Symonds Street - just five minutes from the heart of the city and ideally located for buses and trains to Sylvia Park. Phone +64 9 9508300 or +6421 262 8702 or go to

Empire Apartments, 21 Whitaker Place – great central city location close to public transport. Facilities include a restaurant, café, gymnasium, cinema-function room and laundry. Phone +64 9 950 9000 or book on line at You can view their facilities by clicking here.

City Travellers - backpacker dormitory accommodation with shared facilities as well as private fully-furnished studio accommodation. Wireless and internet services available. Phone +64 9 377 9929 or go to to book online. View their facilities by clicking here.

Scottys Panmure, 120 Queens Road - a short bus ride away from the Sylvia Park Campus. These are studio rooms with shared kitchen and lounge facilities. Phone +6421 873 385.

Still haven’t found exactly what you’re looking for? Email us at for more ideas.

Hotel Accommodation

This is a great short term option if you’re 18 or over, and do not want to stay in backpacker accommodation while looking for more permanent solutions. 

All Seasons Auckland, 20 Wyndham Street – room facilities include private bathroom and kitchenette with microwave, fridge and two-hob stove. A kitchen pack (including utensils and crockery) is available at a one-off cost of NZ$20. The hotel also has a café, luggage storage, on-site laundry and wireless and broadband Internet services. Phone +64 9 308 9140 or email You can view the hotel and facilities by clicking here.

NZMA Uniform

All our students wear stylish uniforms. You’ll be fitted for yours during your first two weeks of study. In the meantime, you need to wear tidy, professional clothes. That means for business students: a long-sleeved business shirt, a tie and business trousers for men; and a long-sleeved business shirt plus skirt or trousers for women. Hospitality and cookery students need to wear a white long-sleeved collared shirt, black trousers or skirt and solid black leather shoes. You are required to wear your uniform every day at NZMA - we recommend you buy a second pair of trousers or skirt so that they can be laundered. Denim jeans and casual trousers are not allowed.

Check out below for what’s provided as part of your fees and what you’ll need to buy yourself.

Courses Provided by NZMA Student must bring
Hospitality Students
  • Black trousers or
  • Waistcoat
  • 1 Cafe shirt
  • Solid black leather shoes
  • White long-sleeved collared
    business shirt
Business Students
  • Business tie X 1 (men only)
  • Workplace appropriate shoes
  • Long-sleeved collared business
    shirt (any colour appropriate
    to the workplace)
Cookery Students
  • Chef jackets X 2
  • Black trousers
  • Chef’s cap
  • Knife set
  • Apron
  • Safety shoes

Please direct all enquiries and applications to:

ACG Education
International Centre
Tel: +64 9 307 5399

Complaints Procedure

The School/College has a set procedure to resolve complaints. If the complaint is unable to be resolved satisfactorily within the School/College it can be taken to the Campus Principal/Manager. Full details can be found in the student handbook. If it is still not resolved then the complaint can* be taken to NZQA. NZQA is a government organisation and they can provide an independent assessment of the complaint. Students can download the complaint form from NZQA. Completed complaint forms, along with any supporting evidence, can be sent to:
The Complaints Officer 
Quality Assurance Division 
New Zealand Qualifications Authority 
PO Box 160, Wellington 6140

*If the complaint is of a financial/contractual nature, NZQA will refer it to the Dispute Resolution Scheme operator, iStudent Complaints.

Latest News and Events from the Campus

Measles Out Break - What you need to know

Read full story

Cambodian Minister for Tourism visits NZMA, Hamilton

Read full story

Watch our Brand New Ad

Read full story

Student Health Prioritised at NZMA Waikato

Read full story