As the only recognised domestic student foundation pathway provider to AUT health programmes, this programme is ideal preparation for further studies in health. You will gain important knowledge about health and develop a wide range of academic skills to support your future success in a tertiary environment. Completion of this qualification gives you the opportunity to apply for enrolment into the Bachelor of Health Science, selecting from a range of health pathways including nursing and midwifery. Achieving the Certificate in Health Care Support also provides students with skills and knowledge suitable for work as a home or community based Healthcare support worker.
Course content includes:
- A fascinating and intriguing understanding of human anatomy and physiology. Opportunities are provided to research the functioning of the body, looking to identify and explain organisational, structural and functional components, together with describing the interrelationships of the human body systems
- Understanding the unique development of individuals through the lifespan. You will be introduced to theories that show how development occurs across the physical, cognitive and socialemotional domains
- Academic research, literacy and communication skills through enquiry based learning
- Exploring individual, group and community health in New Zealand focussing on the impact of social and environmental determinants of health. You will have the opportunity to learn about major health issues in New Zealand along with health promotion and community development theory which aims to address these issues. You will learn about key documents which underpin health care provision, including the Treaty of Waitangi. This paper will challenge you to become more analytical in your thinking and to broaden your perspective on health and wellbeing.
What qualifications will I come away with?
- Certificate in Health Care Support (Level 4)