New Zealand Management Academies (NZMA) is a large and well-established Private Tertiary Education institution founded in 1985 with premises in Otahuhu, Hamilton and Auckland Central.
Tim and Jane Cullinane purchased NZMA in 2002. Tim Cullinane is Chairman and Joint Chief Executive of NZMA. The Cullinanes decided to enter the field of education because they are passionate about the difference that education can make to the lives of all NZMA’s students – both within New Zealand and abroad.
The Cullinanes’ focus at NZMA has been to build a high performing educational institution where quality is reflected in all aspects of the organisation from the academic programmes delivered to the academic and employment outcomes achieved.
To be a leader in New Zealand education by making a meaningful difference to the lives of our students and their communities.
- We behave with integrity
- We understand and believe in each other
- We role model what we wish to see in others
- We embrace diversity
- We are a leader in our field
- Quality is at the heart of all we do
- We are financially strong
- We are results driven
- We show it’s safe to dream and anything is possible
- We work as one team to make a meaningful difference
- We enjoy what we do
- We recognise achievement
- Personal and professional learning and development is the core of what we do
- We continuously evolve and develop to better meet our stakeholders’ needs
- We seek a better way
Governance and Management
The Executive Team and Board of NZMA are responsible for the governance of the organisation.
The Board meets monthly to:
• set the strategic direction of the company
• review financial performance
• determine business objectives
• select management to operationalise policies and objectives
NZMA’s Senior Management Team – (comprised of the Chairman, Chief Executives, Director of Academic Quality, Director of New Zealand Students, Director of Business Development, Director of International Business, Director of HR, Director of Redfish and the Director of Finance and IT). The Senior Management Team communicates on a daily basis and is responsible for the ongoing operations of the business.
Academic Advisory Board
NZMA has established an independent Academic Advisory Board, chaired by Dr Alastair MacCormick. The Board provides guidance to NZMA in terms of Programme Development, Delivery and Moderation so that:
1. Our students and other stakeholders can be confident that NZMA delivers its courses with the appropriate academic rigour and commitment to quality.
2. Other partners, whose products we are delivering can be confident that NZMA delivers their products with appropriate academic rigour.
3. Other organisations (for example universities and other tertiary institutions both in New Zealand and internationally) can confidently grant our graduates articulated pathways/advanced standing into the programmes of those universities.
Dr MacCormick was Dean of the Business School at Auckland University for 14 years. He subsequently served terms as Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Acting Vice-Chancellor of Auckland University and is an Emeritus Professor. He holds a BSc in Mathematics and Physics and an MCom in Economics from the University of Auckland, and a PhD in Management Science from Yale University.
Alastair is a former member of the Board of Trustees of Auckland Grammar School and was Chairman from 1993-98. He was foundation Chairman of the New Zealand Education and Scholarship Trust.
Dr MacCormick is currently a professional director with experience across a range of public and private companies, including new venture companies with a technology focus. His current and previous corporate and consulting assignments span the business, government, not-for-profit and university sectors in Asia, Australia, New Zealand, the UK and the USA. Alastair is also Chairman of the Business Innovation Centre Advisory Board for the Auckland University of Technology.
He has been extensively involved in the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation through both PECC and APEC.
NZQA Audit Cycle
NZMA was one of the first providers to receive a four year audit cycle from NZQA - the highest acknowledgment of quality issued by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA).
NZMA operates under the strict NZQA student fee protection policy as required by the New Zealand Government. Student fees are protected in the unlikely event that NZMA is unable to deliver a student’s tuition.